This program is for anyone who loves children and yoga! This teacher training will immerse you over four months in childhood development, anatomy & physiology and teaching methodology so you will be empowered to share tools of mindfulness and yoga with children ages 2-15 years old and their families. Bring your inner child and a willingness to grow, transform and have fun on the journey.
Every session will explore: tools of self-expression, constructive feedback and vocal empowerment; yoga philosophy; techniques for managing a yoga class; how to integrate family and siblings; age appropriate goals, games, teaching techniques; group asana, partner yoga & AcroYoga.
Module #2 April 15-17 will focus on the following:
• Physical, Emotional & Social Developmental Phases: Ages 13-15
• Developing Seasonal Curriculum
• Meditation & Mudras
• Anatomy & Physiology: Chakras
• Integrating Yoga into Schools and Classrooms
• How to cultivate safe touch, communication & anti-bullying tips
Participants are invited to take each module to deepen your understanding of yoga, mindfulness and children and give you tangible tools to start teaching. Take all four and complete homework to apply for Yoga Alliance certification.
Lead Facilitator Deven Sisler, E-RYT 200, CRYT, CircusYoga & AcroYoga teacher, specializes in children & family classes. She has been working with youth for two decades and was known as New York City's "best yoga clown in town"! She managed Cirque du Soleil's Outreach program for at-risk youth in the South Bronx; and has studied Developmental Patterns through Body-Mind Centering. She has assisted AcroYoga teacher trainings and inspired many on the yoga teacher path. When she is not on tour with Wanderlust, she teaches ongoing classes for youth and families in Bend, OR. She loves inspiring body awareness, while empowering children and families through yoga and play.
DATES & TIMES
Module #4 | June 24-26
Each weekend will run Fridays: 5:30pm-8:30pm
$355 per weekend. Payment Plans are available
All four modules will cover:
• Benefits of yoga for children and families
• How to facilitate a fun, safe yoga class for children ages 2-15 years old
• Child-friendly and fun poses and breathing exercises for any age
• Partner, group and AcroYoga poses for all ages
• Creative ways to make playful and relaxing practice for families
• Teaching exercises to empower and build confidence as a teacher and leader
• Bringing yoga "body breaks" into a classroom to promote holistic learning
• How to creatively theme a class and build seasonal curriculum
• Integrating mindfulness techniques into your home or school environment
• Utilizing non-violent communication and compassionate listening
• How to harness the energy in a room and turn chaos into calm.
• Prioritizing your self-care as an educator
• Recognizing which age groups you connect best with & techniques for every age group
• Incorporating music, games, stories, props and crafts to enhance your classes
• Understand developmental stages and needs for different ages
Children's Developmental Stages & how to work with families or within school environments ~12 hours
Techniques, Training & Practice ~ 20 hours
Teaching Methodology: 12 hours
Anatomy & Physiology ~ 10 hours
Philosophy/Ethics & Business ~ 15 hours
Practicum: 18 hours
Homework: 8 hours of assignments, projects & take home quiz
• Current yoga practice or inspiration to start one.
• 100% attendance to all scheduled classes (make up sessions may be scheduled with Deven at $65 per hour)
• 100% completion of course assignments
• Commitment to a weekly meditation, yoga and pranayama practice
• Observe/Assist 10 children's yoga classes outside of the weekend hours
• Teacher Training Manual
• How to Talk So Kids Can Learn by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish
• The Yamas & Niyamas by Deborah Adele
• Living Nonviolent Communication: Practical Tools to Connect and Communicate Skillfully in Every Situation by Marshall Rosenberg PhD.
Upon successful completion of all four modules, homework assignments and projects you will receive a certificate of completion and be eligible to teach children's classes at Namaspa.
This course is Yoga Alliance approvedl. You must also teach 30 hours of children's yoga classes to be eligible for application to become a Certified Childrens' Yoga Teacher (CRYT).